Wednesday, March 3, 2010

High School Daze 3 - Guy Trouble

I'm back on with the third and final installment of strange high school memories. This one involves a guy.

I know, I know...eyebrows raise, I hear a whistle in the background...oh, wait. That was just in my head.

So this guy is one that I had a HUGE crush on for a very SHORT period of time. I think it was a month. Something like that. After that...meh...he was cute and all, I just wasn't completely smitten. If he had asked me, I would have dated him. But he didn't, and it didn't rock my world too harshly. Get the picture? Cool. Well, the thoughts about this guy are two part. One has to do with him specifically (Senior year), and the other is kinda him, mostly someone else (Junior year). It'll make sense when I get there.

So I had the massive crush on this guy. For the sake of anyone I used to know who might actually read this some random day in the future and think giggly schoolgirl thoughts about it, I am considering not even putting his name on here. But it's not such a huge thing that people have crushes on people in their high school years, right? Okay, his name was Greg Frye.

Anyway, so back to the story. Turns out, my good friend had a crush on him as well. I didn't know. I was probably about at the peak of my crush (y'know, when you get flushed just cause he walked in the room...even if he didn't actually look your way) when I found out that she liked him. She and I were in an otherwise empty classroom where he had just departed, and we both commented on having a crush on him.

My delight! I had someone to relate with about how massively gorgeous he was and isn't he so charming and funny?! Not exactly.

Before I tell you what happened here, I need my thoughts to be justified and validated. So...just so you know, she was FULLY AWARE that I had been crushing on him already, and she had NEVER NEVER NEVER said so much as a peep about liking him.

So, here we are with this confession of a crush in the air, and me excited that we could talk about it...and she hammers down on me right away! She tells me that I would not be a "real friend" if I ever flirted with him or dated him because I now knew that she liked him. She concludes with the fact that she wanted to ask him out sometime, though. I was floored!! So...so that means that any time we happen to like the same guy, I would not be allowed to act on what I feel, but she could? Say what?!

I have to insert here that this is the ONLY time I have felt any negative feeling towards this friend. She was one of my best friends, we stayed friends for years, and we're still in semi-contact today...and this is the ONLY negative memory I have of her. She is just a sweetheart in general, so naturally this stands out as a glaring contradiction to who she is.

I had no idea what to think or feel at that point, and so I tried to laugh it off. She was dead serious, though, which made me evaluate my feelings. Did I honestly think Greg and I would ever date? No. Could I be okay crushing on him if she dated him? Yeah, prolly. Even if I ever did date him, did I seriously think that the guy I dated at age 17 would be my future husband? Not really. So in all, was it worth risking losing my friendship with this girl? No. So I continued to crush on him all I wanted, and we talked about how wonderful he was, but I never flirted. Turns out, she never did either.

Now, I know you could think and reason that her ultimatum to me would make her not such a good friend. Believe me, I've been down that thought path. I try to take a kinder route, though. I think she was just being a typical hormonal teenage girl. I think that her crushing was dumbing down the better part of her brain...which crushing has a tendency to do.

Funny, though, that this exact realization didn't come until I fell in love with my husband. He was crushing on someone else, she was kinda playing with him rather than actually being interested in long-term. She and I had recently become friends, and she knew I was madly in love with him. He was (and still is) my best friend. Only my feelings had gone farther, whereas his were happy with just friendship. She knew this...I talked out my feelings with her SO MANY TIMES! She was well aware of them, she was also well aware that she was only interested in making out with him, and she was well aware that he was crushing on her. So MY thoughts lined right up with my friend from high school. OF COURSE it wouldn't be real friendship if she made a play at him! I could, but not HER. Alas, they did date...for a miserable few weeks, while I sat there being in the middle of it all...hearing about his unsatisfied feelings with her, hearing about her desire to kiss him all the time (never happened...whew!) and wishing it would all end. And feeling bitter towards her. Because she knew. See how it relates? (By the way, she and I are still friends.)

But I digress. So, that was the end of my first memory accompanied by my thoughts of the memory. On a side note, I just thought of another memory about Greg. He was once robbed on the outskirts of town, forced to strip down, and had his car stolen. So he walked back into town naked. It was in the newspaper.

No, not the picture! Sicko! The story was in the paper. I never actually talked to him about it, though.

Okay, onto my next story...er...thing. He wrote in my yearbook. Twice. Well, he didn't sign one of them...but you know how you get to know someone's handwriting after a while? Well, that was the case.

The first thing he wrote was that I'm good and I'm gonna go to heaven, and that's cool. random, but okay.

The second thing he wrote, even more random, is a little note he signed with the name Pepe Le Pew. Oh, you've heard of him, eh? So have I. Horny little skunk! Well, he wrote that he'd like to take me up to the gridwalk and...well, it's kind of embarrassing even all these years later. I believe his words were "I want to take you up to the gridwalk and ravage you like you've never been ravaged before."

Now, wait a minute. After you wipe away your tears of laughter and smirks, let me add something here. This is not embarrassing because I BELIEVED it...no, no. It was, after all, Greg. It makes sense that he would write nonsense. This was embarrassing because I had to get a friend tell me what he MEANT.

Yes, folks...even though I was generally known and liked by most (although not so far as to say popular), I was completely naive. Not something I'm ashamed of, either! Not at all. I've been blissfully innocent almost my entire life now, and I'm quite happy with that. But the fact remains, this did leave me with blank stares on my face at times when people would say things like THAT and wait for my response. I had no clue.

So when I did find out what it meant, that was a different embarrassment altogether! There was all this wishy-washy "did he really mean it, or was it just a joke?' crap going on in my head.

Oh, and the horror!...to think, in my innocence, that someone would even THINK of me like that...even if it was a joke...was a different head-spinning altogether. I hadn't even imagined myself with someone like that!

Well, after a week or so my thoughts and heart calmed down. I noticed he was still just acting like normal Greg in class, so I had to assume that he knew I would read it and probably assume that I might know what it meant (or maybe not, if he figured out the extent of my naivety), yet he was completely unfazed. The verdict...not guilty. It was a joke. And I could relax.

So, there it is. That was the last of my most recent thoughts on the things that stood out to me as oddities in high school. I like memories, and I like writing them down, so I'll probably have more blogs about more memories. Probably more about high school, too...eh, whatever. For now, this is it.

Auf Wiedersehen

No comments:

Post a Comment